Since the time God created living things on this planet, there have been so many accidents. Humans have always been prone of major disasters. Here we are going to talk about top 10 most expensive accidents in the history, but we do believe that the greatest cost of these accidents have had been loss of lives and severe injuries. Let us take a look!
List of Content
- 10. Tanker Truck Explosion On Wiehltal Bridge, 2004 (USD358 million)
- 9. B-2 Stealth Heavy Bomber Crash, 2008 (USD1.4 billion)
- 8. Piper Alpha Oil Rig, 1988 (USD3.4 billion)
- 7. Sinking Of The Titanic, 1912 (USD150 million)
- 6. Chatsworth Train Collision, 2008 (USD500 million)
- 5. Exxon Valdez Oil Spill, 1989 (USD2.5 billion)
- 4. Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster, 2003 (USD13 billion)
- 3. Chernobyl Accident, 1986 (USD200 billion)
- 2. Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster, 1986 (USD5.5 billion)
- 1. Prestige Oil Spill, 2002 (USD12 billion)
10. Tanker Truck Explosion On Wiehltal Bridge, 2004 (USD358 million)
This severe accident took place in the Federal Republic of Germany on 26th of August, 2004. A tanker truck with 32,000 liters of fuel suddenly collapsed with a car on wiehltal Bridge. In no time, it was fallen 90 feet onto the A4 Autobahn after the crash. A huge explosion resulted in so much damage. The fire destructed the bridge.
9. B-2 Stealth Heavy Bomber Crash, 2008 (USD1.4 billion)
B-2 Stealth heavy bomber crash is one of the most unusual and dangerous accidents of human history. It took place on 23rd of February, 2008, when a US Air Force B-2 stealth bomber was crashed on the runway after taking-off from the Andersen Air Force Base in Guam. Investigation reports have revealed that this accident occurred due to some errors in the computer data control system. It, anyhow, took many lives, and the estimated loss was USD1.4 billion.
8. Piper Alpha Oil Rig, 1988 (USD3.4 billion)
The Piper Alpha oil rig took the lives of 167 worked. This accident took place on 6th of July, 1988, off the coast of Aberdeen. It is one of the deadliest accidents ever. In those days, the Piper Alpha Oil was the biggest oil producer with the capacity of about 317,000 barrels of oil daily. During the routine maintenance, one of the staff members removed some safety valves. As a result, a sudden explosive took place. Other than so many deaths, there were damages of USD3.4 billion.
7. Sinking Of The Titanic, 1912 (USD150 million)
This is one of the most shocking accidents of the history. It took place in early 19s, and is known to all of us because of being shown in a Hollywood movie, Titanic. The ship was worth USD7 million. During its five day from Southampton, England to New York City, US, it got collapsed with an iceberg, and sunk on 15th of April, 1912. It killed about 1500 passengers and crew members.
6. Chatsworth Train Collision, 2008 (USD500 million)
The Chatsworth train collision is remembered as one of the costliest accidents of train. This took place on 12th of September, 2008, when a Metrolink commuter train and a Union Pacific Freight train crashed head-on in California. The accident occurred due to the negligence of Metrolink’s train conductor. This led Metrolink loss about USD500 million.
5. Exxon Valdez Oil Spill, 1989 (USD2.5 billion)
The Exxon Valdez Oil Spill accident is of Alaska. It happened on 24th of March, 1989, when an oil tanker named Exxon Valdez bound for long beach. This got crashed into a Bligh Reef of Prince William Sound and spilled about 75,000 barrels of crude oil that created much pollution in the water. This, as a result, damaged about 1,300 miles of shoreline.
4. Space Shuttle Columbia Disaster, 2003 (USD13 billion)
This accident took place on 1st of February, 2003, when Columbia shattered over Louisiana and Texas. It is one of the most expensive and shocking accidents. The crew members were assassinated. The hot gases demolished the wing structure. The total amount lost in this accident, according to the American institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, is USD13 billion.
3. Chernobyl Accident, 1986 (USD200 billion)
This is a catastrophic nuclear accident. It occurred on 26th of April, 1986, at Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant in Ukraine. Fire escaped out from radioactive particles, polluting the air to much extent. This is the worst nuclear power accident ever that was caused due to negligence of safety measures.
Read Also: Top 10 Most Dangerous States in America
2. Space Shuttle Challenger Disaster, 1986 (USD5.5 billion)
Just after seventy three seconds of takeoff, the Space Shuttle Challenger shattered with all the seven crew members. This took place on 28th of January, 1986. As a result of the damage, about USD5.5 billion were lost. The accident is said to have caused due to a defect in O-ring.
1. Prestige Oil Spill, 2002 (USD12 billion)
The Prestige oil tanker had 77,000 tons of fuel when an accident took place on 13th of November, 2002. One of the 12 tanks exploded during the storm off Galicia, Spain. The captain was asked to keep on driving the ship. The storm, as a result, overwhelmed it. The oil polluted thousands of km of coastline.
Did you like this post?