The world is full of wonders. Almost every country has its beautiful and surprising places and moments to captivate the attention of international tourists. This is also true that there are several objects which belong to ancient times and we have only seen them in pictures. While looking at those pictures it becomes evident that these are really the marvelous wonders of the history. Let us explore the top 10 best ancient wonders you might have not seen.
List of Content
- 10. Temple of Artemis at Ephesus - 550 BC – 262 AD
- 9. Mausoleum at Halicarnassus - 351 BC – 1494 AD
- 8. Obelisk of Axum - 4th Century AD – Present
- 7. Roman Baths - 836 BC – Present
- 6. Colosseum - 70/80 AD – Present
- 5. Great Pyramid of Giza - 2584–2561 BC – Present
- 4. Ishtar Gate - 575 BC – Present
- 3. Statue of Zeus at Olympia - 435 BC – 5th/6th Century AD
- 2. Colossus of Rhodes - 292/280 BC – 226 BC
- 1. Lighthouse of Alexandria - 1303–1480 AD
10. Temple of Artemis at Ephesus - 550 BC – 262 AD
If you take a look at the picture of Temple of Artemis, you would get to know that this has been a marvelous structure of the history. It was dedicated to the daughter of Zeus (the equivalent of Rome’s Diana). The temple underwent three reconstructions because it was destroyed in raids by the Goths, and was set to fire many times.
9. Mausoleum at Halicarnassus - 351 BC – 1494 AD
Here is the picture of the House of the Temple in Washington DC. It is home to the Scottish Rite of Freemasonry. It was designed as an accurate replica of Mausoleum at Halicarnassus. This is dedicated to a Persian Governor, and it had been a marvelous piece of architecture.
8. Obelisk of Axum - 4th Century AD – Present
The Obelisk of Axum is another ancient wonder. It was based in Ethiopia in the times when this land was out of the reach of common people. In 1937 the Fascists conquered Ethiopia, and the wonderful Obelisk of Axum was repatriated in 2005.
7. Roman Baths - 836 BC – Present
The famous Roman Baths in Somerset are a must see place. Unfortunately, these are not in their present form, because it was destroyed in 6th century, and was redeveloped later in 18th century.
6. Colosseum - 70/80 AD – Present
The Colusseum is a highly marvelous and beautiful wonder of ancient times. It was destroyed in 1349 by a great earthquake. Later on, it was used by religious families as housing, and even as a cemetery. Its stones were used in other buildings.
5. Great Pyramid of Giza - 2584–2561 BC – Present
This is the only wonder which is lying in its original form until now. The entire pyramid was clad on the outside with white limestone tiles. The pyramid has glistened in the harsh Egyptian sun. Unfortunately in 1300, an earthquake destroyed much of its part.
4. Ishtar Gate - 575 BC – Present
As a part of the Walls of Babylon, the Ishtar Gate (eight gate into Babylon) has also underwent various reconstruction. Its original parts were used every time it was built. It is quite stunning.
3. Statue of Zeus at Olympia - 435 BC – 5th/6th Century AD
This vast statue was found in the temple complex dedicated to Zeus. He was a god of the ancient Greeks. The statue is very impressive and much of its portion has been kept as such. Nowadays, a temple is also lying here.
2. Colossus of Rhodes - 292/280 BC – 226 BC
It was designed and built to the scale and design of the original Colossus of Rhodes. In 226 BC, the Rhodes earthquake greatly affected this sculpture which remained lying on the ground for over nine centuries. Later on, its remains were sold by a Muslim conqueror to a Jewish merchant for scrap.
1. Lighthouse of Alexandria - 1303–1480 AD
This is a life-sized replica of the Lighthouse at Alexandria, present in China. The original was present in the island of Pharos. The purpose of its design was to guide sailors into the Alexandrian port. Like many other ancient wonders, this has also lost its original beauty.
What do you think about this article? Let us know!